Architect: C.B.J. Snyder, 1902 - 04; additions, 1922, 1925, and 1937.
Curtis High School Staten Island's first secondary school building. It was the first public building built following the consolidation of Greater New York.
It was part of a plan to erect a major high school in each of the outlying boroughs -- Erasmus Hall, Morris, and Flushing high schools were the other three.
The original building of brick and limestone is dominated by a large square turreted tower inspired by English medieval models.
The school is named for the nationally prominent writer and orator George W. Curtis, who lived nearby. The Collegiate Gothic school is situated in an appropriate campuslike setting.
It was designated a New York City Landmark on October 12, 1982.
Return to St. George Home Page
by David Goldfarb