The U.S. Coast Guard Station Administration Building is a boldly detailed
granite and red brick office building (now painted)and one of the few
surviving examples of the French Second Empire buildings designed by
Alfred B. Mullett during his tenure as supervising architect of the
Treasury. The Staten Island lighthouse depot complex was established for
the storage of materials destined for East Coast lighthouses and as an
experimental station for the testing of new materials and methods of
lighthouse operation. The office building was constructed, beginning in
1868, as a fireproof facility for the storage of the depot's records. The
Coast Guard moved to Governors Island in 1966 and the historic buildings
on site are now vacant.
The Coast Guard Station has been selected as the site of the National Lighthouse Center and Museum.
Return to St. George Home Page
reised August 2 1998
by David Goldfarb