Shortly after the consolidation of New York City, a new civic center was planned for Staten Island. The Staten Island Borough Hall and the Richmond County Courthouse are the only two major features of the plan that were erected. Carrere & Hastings, one of the preeminent early 20th century architecture firms, received the commission for both civic center buildings, probably because John M. Carrere was a resident of Staten Island.
Borough Hall, built , 1904-06, is one of the great early 20th
century civic monuments of New York City. Carrere & Hastings
designed Borough Hall in the style of a Louis XIII chateaux. The
facade facing New York Harbor, consists of a central pavilion
flanked by projecting wings, all with a mansard roof. A courtyard
is reached by a long flight of stairs. A tall clock tower, visible
from the harbor, rises from the center of the west elevation.
The Richmond County Courthouse, built 1913-1919, is an impressive temple-fronted L-shaped limestone building. It reflects influence of Roman, Italian Renaissance, and Northern Renaissance architecture.
Both buildings were designated New York City Landmarks on March