23-25 Belair Road.
Lakeman-Cortelyou House, 2286 Richmond Road, 18th Century Farmhouse.
Owner Moravian Florist
The owner is currently working on this building, but without the protection of the Landmarks Law, there is no guarantee that the result will be an authentic restoration. A Request for Evaluation has been submitted to the Landmarks Preservation Commission.
|Frost Building, Staten Island Hospital (S. R. Smith
Infirmary), 101 Stanley Avenue, 1889, Alfred E. Barlow.
Heard 1991, but not designated by the Landmarks Preservation Commission. The Commission's failure to designate and regulate this building led a string of failed developers to strip it of its detail and leave it in its current lonely state.
|Jewett Carriage Barn, 2111 Richmond Terrace. A Request for Evaluation of this rare survivor by the Landmarks Preservation Commission has been denied.|
Disosway House, 429 Clove Road, built ca. 1800.
This house doesn't look endangered, does it? It is beautifully maintained. However, every old house sitting on a large piece of land like this one is fair game for developers to demolish and replace with large numbers of townhouses.
A Request for Evaluation has been submitted to the Landmarks Preservation Commission. It is under consideration.
|St. George Theater, 25 Hyatt Street, opened
December 4, 1929. Architects: Eugene DeRosa and James Whitford. Owner: George
Seating 2,956, it is reputed to be the second largest stage in New York City. The interior is lavishly decorated in a Spanish style. The theater is not in use and its future is uncertain. The owner proposes to build a 17-story building on the lot next door.
A request for evaluation has been submitted to the Landmarks Preservation Commission. It is under consideration. There has been political support for its renovation, but no action to date.
|These web pages are made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a State Agency.|
Contact Linda C.
Jones, Preservation League of Staten Island Landmarks Committee
Last revised October 25, 2001
by Preserve & Protect