Staten Island's
Most Endangered Buildings


Endangered Landmarks


New Brighton Village Hall

 
  • 66 Lafeyette Street, corner of Fillmore Street.
  • 1881
  • James Whitford, Sr.
  • NYC Landmark designated 1965
  • Vacant since 1968
  • Abandoned and neglected by its owner, The Retrovest Companies of Vermont.
 
Historic New Brighton Village Hall
Current New Brighton Village Hall  

New York City Farm Colony/Seaview Hospital Historic District

  New York City Farm Colony/Seaview Hospital Historic District. Designated 1985. This historic district consists of approximately 320 acres of forested land, surrounding the buildings of two municipal institutions. Some buildings at Seaview Hospital are in use, but most of the buildings are unused and deteriorating. One Farm Colony dormitory building was demolished in 1999 at the request of Councilman Oddo, who claimed it might endanger children at a nearby ballfield.
In 1999, The historic district was listed as one of New York State's most endangered places by the Preservation League of New York State.
 
  Farm Colony dormitory building
A dormitory at the Farm Colony 
The New York City Farm Colony, founded in 1904, is owned by theNew York City Department of Citywide Administrative Services. The earliest buildings, designed by Renwick, Aspinwall & Owen, are a series of striking Colonial Revival dormitories and other structures built of local rubble stone. The facility was a self-sustaining farm for "able-bodied paupers."  
  Seaview Hospital, founded in 1905, is owned by theNew York City Health and Hospitals Corporation. It was designed by Raymond F. Almirall as a hospital for the treatment of tuberculosis. Later additions included Renwick, Aspinall & Tucker's two groups of open-air pavilions designed in 1917 for ambulatory patients. One group of pavilions has been demolished. The other is in dire condition. Its unique terra-cotta murals are in extreme danger.  Seaview building
A building at Seaview Hospital
 

John King Vanderbilt House

  John King Vanderbilt House John King Vanderbilt House, 1197 Clove Road. Built ca.1836, the house is an example of Greek Revival design on Staten Island.
NYC Landmark designated 1987.
Vacant and neglected by its owner.
 

Stephen D. Barnes House

  Stephen D. Barnes House, 2876 Richmond Terrace, between Van Pelt and Van Name Avenues. Built 1853. A large Italianate brick house--one of the few survivors of "Captain's Row."
NYC Landmark designated 1976.
Its owners are trying to care for it, but it is an expensive proposition.
Stephen D. Barnes House  

Gustave A. Mayer House

  Gustave A. Mayer House Gustave A. Mayer House, 2475 Richmond Road. Built 1855.
NYC Landmark designated 1989.
This house with its notable square cupola epitomizes the Italian villa form. Its current owners have made considerable progress in stabilizing its crumbling roof and cupola.
 

Henry McFarlane House

  Henry McFarlane House (McFarlane-Bredt House; former New York Yacht Club), 30 Hylan Boulevard. Built 1841.
NYC Landmark designated 1969.
This villa adjoining the Alice Austen House property is owned by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation but has been occupied by renters for a very long time. Although the Parks Department intends to restore it, there is no target date for this project. The house is in very tough condition indeed..
Henry McFarlane House  

Abraham Manee House
(Manee-Seguine Homestead)

  Abraham Manee House Abraham Manee House (Manee-Seguine Homestead), 509 Seguine Avenue. Late 17th Century.
NYC Landmark designated 1984.
The house is unoccupied and sits on a temptingly large lot. A proposal is before the Landmarks Preservation commission to build two semi-detached townhouses directly beteen the house and Purdy Place, completely obscuring the view of the house.
 

U.S. Lighthouse Service, Third District,
Staten Island Depot Office Building

  Administration Building U.S. Lighthouse Service, Third District, Staten Island Depot Office Building (later the U.S. Coast Guard Station Administration Building), 1 Bay Street. 1865-71 Alfred B. Mullett
NYC Landmark designated 1980.
Owner City of New York
While some buildings at the former Coast Guard Base have been somewhat sealed and stabilized, the only New York City Landmark is in dreadful condition, with missing windows and leaky roof contributing to its continuing shameful deterioration.
 

Woodland Cottage

 

Woodland Cottage, 33-37 Belair Road. Built 1845.

NYC Landmark designated 1982.

One of the few surviving examples of the picturesque Gothic Revival houses that were quite common in Clifton in the early years of the area's suburbanization. Between 1858 and 1869, the cottage serverd as the rectory of nearby St. John's Church (also a NYC Landmark).

33-37 Belair Road  

NYSCA LOGO These web pages are made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a State Agency.

Contact Linda C. Jones, Preservation League of Staten Island Landmarks Committee
Last revised October 25, 2001
by Preserve & Protect